The rattlesnoise has been reported by residents of a rural Colorado community and is causing health issues in several areas, according to a post on the National Association of Nurse Practitioners website.
“We’re seeing this really high frequency of reports of people getting bitten by rattlesnas and this is something we’ve been working with the Colorado Department of Public Health to understand,” Dr. Brian Dolan, a spokesman for the association, told Mashable.
“We’re very concerned about the fact that there are so many reports, and this could have potentially been avoided.”
Dolan said the snake bite was reported by a resident who had a bite on his hand on Thursday.
A worker from the state’s Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection investigated the report and found that a rattling sound was made by the snake, which had escaped from its enclosure, Dolan said.
The resident, who did not want to be identified, was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and was in stable condition.
Dolan confirmed that the rattles snake is a type of nonvenomous snake that lives in Mexico and has not been caught.
However, the rattlers venom is highly poisonous and can cause severe damage.
“They can cause serious injury,” Dolan told Mashac.
“It’s not a snakebite, it’s an infection.
So you need to treat it as a serious injury, or treat it like a lethal infection.”
The association has launched a website to share information about the rattler.
“The state has done everything they can to help us get the public to stop calling them rattlers,” Dola said.
“There are some places where they’re doing a lot of outreach and awareness and public education.”
Colorado Public Health is investigating the report.